Air Education and Training Command NONDESTRUCTIVE TESTER in Laughlin AFB, Texas
The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win?in air, space and cyberspace.
To achieve that mission, the Air Force has a vision of Global Vigilance, Reach and Power. That vision orbits around three core competencies: Developing Airmen, Technology-to-Warfighting and Integrating Operations. Core competencies and distinctive capabilities are based on a shared commitment to three core values -- integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do.
Click here to view the AF Civilian Employment Eligibility Guide:
Internal Employees (Air Force Employee - Current Permanent Competitive Service Career/Career-Conditional Employee and Current Permanent AF DCIPS Employees with Reinstatement Rights to the Competitive Service) DoD Transfer - Army, Navy, DFAS, etc. (Excluding Air Force) Former Federal Employees (Reinstatement) Military Spouses - Appointment of Certain Military Spouse (EO 13473) Schedule A - Individual with Disabilities - click here for additional information ICTAP (Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program) NAFI/AAFES Non-DoD Transfer (OPM, VA, Dept of Labor, etc.) Federal Employees with Other Appointment Eligibilities (TSA, FAA, Postal, etc.) VEOA (Veterans Employment Opportunity Act) VRA (Veterans' Recruitment Appointment) 30% Disabled Veterans
You MUST have one or more listed eligibilities to be considered. Eligibility claims must be supported with required documentation submitted with each application package to be considered. "Transfer" and "Reinstatement" eligibles must provide their most current SF-50 and the SF-50 reflecting the highest grade held if not reflected on most current/separation SF-50. *Air Force is not responsible for erroneous eligibilities you list or fail to list.
Learn more about this agency
THE SALARY/WAGEs FOR THIS POSITION IS $22.89-$26.71
- The primarily purpose of this position is: To develop, modify, and apply inspection procedures, techniques, and acceptability standards for new, unusual, and/or experimental nondestructive inspection processes using ultrasonic, eddy current and/or radiographic inspection techniques.
- Using the ultrasonic-eddy current processes, per forms inspections of aircraft, engine, missile, ground support equipment, etc., parts and components, support equipment structural members, components, parts, and other materials for which inspection procedures and/or acceptability standards a r inadequate or not available.
- Using the radiographic equipment, performs inspections of aircraft, engine, missile, ground support equipment, etc., parts, components, support equipmen.t structural members, components, parts, and other materials for which inspection procedures and/or acceptability standards are inadequate or not available.
- Serves as NDI Technical Advisor, advising responsible shop supervisors, engineering, quality assurance and other related functions of defects found, their extent and their effect of the quality and serviceability of products.Uses and maintains tools.
- Utilizes safety practices and procedures following established safety rules and regulations to maintain a safe and clean work environment. Maintains records and documents actions.
- Prepares and performs oil analysis to determine the identity and amount of metal articles suspended in the oil taken from a particular aircraft engine. Applies magnetic particle and/or liquid penetrant inspection to detect and interpret the relevancy of flaws in a variety of parts.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Federal Employees, VEOA, VRA, Individuals with Disabilities, Military Spouses. See Job Summary for further information on "Who May Apply".
Questions? This job is open to 4 groups.
- #### Job family (Series)
3705 Non-Destructive Testing
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
- This posn is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- Subject to random drug testing
- Pre-employment physical required
- PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
- Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Shift work may be required to work rotating shifts or uncommon tours of duty. Subject to call back to meet emergency situations.
- May be required to possess a valid operator's license to drive a motor vehicle to and from work sites.
- May be required to obtain an appropriate clearance to perform the work in sensitive areas.
- May be required to perform duties in a TOY stah1s.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- This is a drug testing designated position. The incumbent is subject to random testing for drug use.
- Technicians shall be certified in accordance with procedures outlined in Air Force instruction 21-101, Technical Order 33B-1-1 and NAS410 level 2 requirements by the completion of one year probation period and a five year recertification in accordance with NAS410 standards.
Physical Effort: Prolonged standing, frequent lifting of parts and materials weighing up to 40 pounds unassisted, and occasionally over 50 pounds with assistance of lifting devices or other workers is required. Subject to eyestrain when using black light. Both hands and good eyesight required. Work requires stooping, bending, reaching, stretching, and climbing in, on, or through aircraft with equipment.
Working Conditions: Works inside shop and in areas adjacent to or removed from the shop. Exposed to oils, which may cause dermatitis or allergy. Subject to possible radiation damage of body tissues. Wears radiation monitoring devices, standard safety equipment, and protective clothing.
QUALIFICATIONS: The following summarizes the qualification standard for this position found in the Job Qualifications System for Trades and Labor Occupations (Handbook X-118C); for additional information click here. To qualify, there is no specific length of training or experience required; however, you must be able to demonstrate enough experience in your application to show you possess sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the position at the level for which applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on the quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
The screen out element for this position is to do the work without more then normal supervision
JOB ELEMENTS:Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas: 1. Knowledge of the ultrasonic-eddy current, and industrial x-ray radiographic methods of nondestructive testing to investigate failures in critical aircraft structures and components when considerable unknown factors are involved. 2. Knowledge of the various shapes, sizes, and density of flaw indications in parts being tested. 3. Knowledge of safety regulations and procedures. 4. Skill to set up and operate ultrasonic, eddy-current, and radiographic equipment to examine a variety of parts, components, or material to detect hidden subsurface flaws, corrosion and separation in bonded and honeycomb structures; integrity of welds; precision dimensional and volume measurements; hardness of materials; and to determine if defects found render the article acceptable or unacceptable. Skill to work with quality assurance and engineering personnel to modify inspection procedures and test standards to achieve inspection objectives. Ability to develop, modify, and adapt ultrasonic-eddy current, and industrial x-ray radiographic methods and techniques of nondestructive testing to investigate failures in critical aircraft structures and components when existing inspection procedures, techniques, and acceptability standards are nonexistent or not applicable. 5. Ability to read and interpret quality control directives, engineering drawings, NDJ literature, and technical orders concerning nondestructive testing methods and procedures. 6. Ability to interpret flaw indications and their relevance to the reliability of products. Ability to document actions and maintain records manually or on a computer terminal.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE:Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP):For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated well qualified or above for this position. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants):Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
90-Day Register:This announcement may result in a 90-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
Incentives: Recruitment and/or retention incentives may or may not be used.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
The resume/documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
All Federal Wage Schedule (FWS) applicants must complete the assessment questionnaire in its entirety or it will result in an ineligible rating. Applicants who meet the requirements for and apply as a non-competitive eligible that meet minimal qualifications and other requirements of this position, will be given consideration as a non-competitive candidate and will be referred unless blocked by an individual with priority/preference.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications)
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
- A complete Application Questionnaire
- Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number, and last four digits of your social security number.
Background checks and security clearance
Q - Nonsensitive
- Required Documents
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application. Other documents may be required based on the eligibility/eligibilities you are claiming. Click here to view the AF Civilian Employment Eligibility Guide and the required documents you must submit to substantiate the eligibilities you are claiming.
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Resume - must include beginning and ending month and year for each employment period, hours worked and supervisor
- Transcripts - if qualifying based on education or positive education series (can be a copy)
- Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- Veterans' Preference - a copy of your DD Form 214 which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of purple heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference). ACTIVE DUTY SERVICE MEMBERS: The VOW Act Chapter 21 of Title 5, United States Code (U.S.C.), Section 2108a, requires Federal agencies treat active duty service member as veterans, disabled veterans, and preference eligible, when they submit, at the time they apply for a Federal job, a "certification" of active service in lieu of a DD-214, assuming the service member is otherwise eligible. A "certification" letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. The service member's military service dates are necessary in order to determine whether he or she meets the definition of "veteran" under 5 U.S.C. 2108(1). The "certification" must reflect the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date of submission. The "certification" must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters and must indicate when your terminal leave will begin (if applicable), your rank, dates of active duty service, the type of discharge and character of service (i.e. honorable). Further, under paragraph (h) of the rule, agencies are required to verify a qualifying separation from military service prior to appointment, through the DD-214 or other appropriate documentation. Your preference and/or appointment eligibility will be verified prior to appointment. Active duty members that fail to provide a valid "certification" of service with their initial application will be found "not eligible." Military members may be appointed before the effective date of their military retirement/separation if member is on terminal leave.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 06/26/2018
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10124610
To begin the process, click the Apply Onlinebutton to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Applicationbutton at the end of the process.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 10124610
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOTmodify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Total Force Service Center
Laughlin AFB 426 Liberty Drive Laughlin AFB, TX US
Learn more about this agency
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application.Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/489487600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 01/26/2018 to 06/26/2018
Salary: $47,771 to $55,744 per year
Pay scale & grade: WG 11
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent